For My Children
I have been a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints my whole life. I grew up in a loving home with parents who set strong examples
of living their values, faith, obedience and sacrifice. I am grateful
for them and for my upbringing. I never doubted the validity of the church
as a child or a teen. I lived and loved the gospel. Being a “Mormon”
defined me. I was honest, chaste, lived the Word of Wisdom and knew I
was a child of a loving Heavenly Father. I knew that Joseph
Smith had seen a vision of God the Father and Jesus Christ and that he
was a prophet, that the Book of Mormon was translated through the power
of God, that the truth had been restored to the earth and that I was a
part of the only true church upon the face of the earth. I knew that we had been given the fullness of the gospel and that we were privileged
to be a part of it. I was grateful for this knowledge that I had been
chosen to be born into the church so that I could be an example to
others of a true follower of Christ. I had the truth and I wanted to
share it. I knew that because much was given, much was required and that
everyone should have the opportunity to hear it. I knew it.
As a 21 year-old
missionary on Temple Square, I first began to doubt these beliefs. During the summer on Temple Square, large youth church groups came
to try to convert missionaries away from Mormonism. After being
bombarded with beliefs different from my own, I began to question
whether they were right
or was I? I decided to re-read the Book of Mormon from the start. As I
read I committed myself to asking questions about anything that didn’t
feel right to me. As I did so, I found answers to my questions and my
heart felt as ease. My testimony of the Book of Mormon had been rebuilt
and I felt stronger than before.
Life
went on and I married Brett in the temple and had three children with
him. After the birth of Walter (my third-born), I found myself
introduced to new ideas and ways of viewing life through podcasts. This
exposed me to people with very differing views
and ways of life than me, yet who still found happiness, peace and joy
in life. I chalked this up to the Light of Christ that I believed
everyone had, despite their membership in the Church. The Light of
Christ could guide people to goodness and light despite not having the
full gift of the Holy Ghost in their lives. This explained why they were
happy without the gospel, but I still held on to the belief that no one
could feel true joy
without having the fullness of Christ’s gospel in their lives. I saw
that these other ways of viewing life were like having fragments of the
truth but not the whole truth.
As
I continued being introduced to new ways of thinking and navigating the
world, my paradigm in which I viewed the world began to shift. I began
to wonder, “What if the church isn’t true?” These thoughts disturbed me and I hid them deep down without ever opening up to anyone about them. I buried the doubts and tried to focus on the paradigm that I had always been most comfortable with- that the Church was true.
One
evening I painfully opened up to Brett about my doubts. He seemed
shocked and not sure what to say or do. I cried to him over this as I
felt ashamed to even admit it out loud. But my husband was sweet, accepting and kind to me, although we didn’t discuss it again for a very long time.
I
held the doubts in my heart, unwilling to admit them to or discuss them
with anyone else. The gospel brought me comfort and I felt that equated
to truth. I continued to be fully active in the church and in my
beliefs. But my doubts came to a head in the fall of 2017. I don’t know
exactly what spurred it but I do recall listening to a podcast by Jess
Lively about the Law of Attraction and Quantum Physics. At first
I chalked it up to others having fragments of the truth. I saw
similarities between the basics of the Law of Attraction and doctrines
of the Gospel, such as prayer (manifestation), gratitude, love, etc. I
also began listening to a podcast by Rob Bell, the author of What Is The Bible. He
shares his thoughts on the bible stories and sees them in ways that
were very different from what I believed, yet it made sense to me. This
cognitive dissonance was confusing and heartbreaking for me. I opened up
to Brett again, one evening, and we had an open and honest conversation
about what and why we believe what we believe. I am so grateful for
Brett for being open to discussing these things. Many people in the
church aren’t.
At this point in my life, I wanted to leave the church to decide for myself what I believed.
But I had (by then) four young children’s futures to consider, not just
my own. I began attending Pathway group where I was required to study
the Book of Mormon for college credits in hopes of attending BYU-Idaho
in the future (online). Throughout the course of this program, my faith
in the doctrine strengthened. I read the scriptures near daily and I was
surrounded by people of my faith multiple times a week. I still had
doubts but they were not in my mind nearly as much as before. I was
filling my heart and mind with the gospel and I loved it.
In 2018, as I was preparing to go on a walk, I downloaded a podcast called Year of Polygamy.
I listened to the first episode and immediately turned it off. The
doubt came flooding back in. “Not all of what I just heard is true,” I
told myself. “People are human and they all have a skewed perspective of
what happened,” I would say to comfort myself.” I did not want it to be true- the things that Joseph Smith did behind Emma’s back in the name of “revelation” (I.e.
Fanny Alger). It disturbed me deeply and I took a few days to process
it. This was in May of 2018. My sister and I went out to breakfast
together and she told me she had simultaneously
began listening to the same podcast. That started an open discussion that would go on for months
between us about the authenticity of the revelations through prophets in the
church.
Throughout this time of reflection and discussion, I really let myself explore what I
believed about certain issues (polygamy, blacks and the priesthood,
women and the priesthood, gay marriage, etc.) What I realized was that
my opinions on things were solely
based on what the prophets told me to believe. Because I believed that
the prophets were called and ordained by God, it was easy for me to
accept these doctrines
as truths. I had a testimony of the Book of Mormon and of the living
prophet. Things that I hadn’t understood before (like the aforementioned
doctrines) I had leaned on my faith to accept. I didn’t understand it,
but if God had a reason to do what He did- I trusted in Him and in His
timing. I didn’t need to understand.
I
rarely listened to the Year of Polygamy podcast , so that podcast had little to do with my changing
perspective. I knew that it was very possible that this podcaster had a
skewed vision of what the history was like. I took everything she said
with a grain of salt, so to speak. But I did learn a great deal more about the
doctrine of polygamy than I ever had known. Polygamy was taught as the
New and Everlasting Covenant in the early days of the church. Prophets
taught that this was an eternal principle, never to be stopped. This
idea was new to me. Growing up in the church, the cultural belief of the
church
was the idea that polygamy served a purpose in the early days of the
church to grow a righteous seed. I’ve also heard other people say that
the purpose was to “try the people” of the church and even to weed out
those who were too weak to live that doctrine
because of all the trials that would be ahead of them crossing the
plains to Utah. These felt more like excuses than reasons to me now. I
do believe that those women who endured polygamy were incredibly strong
and resilient, though, and were ingenious and creative women.
As
I continued digging, I found out about other bits of church history
that I found disturbing. I did my research and made sure to find
credible sources for information. A couple of teachings of Brigham Young
were particularly distressing; The Adam-God theory and the
Blood-Atonement. Brigham Young taught these principles over the pulpit,
teaching them as direct revelation from God Himself. The church has
since renounced these doctrine's,
but this begged the question; If a prophet has taught false doctrine
over the pulpit, what else is false and how do we know the difference?
During
this time of doubting, I turned to God, family, friends and my Stake
President for answers. Everyone I spoke to was warm, loving,
understanding and encouraging. They understood my concerns and
encouraged me to continue searching for answers. I was very open about
my struggles because I believed there must be something I wasn’t
understanding behind these issues. There must be something I didn’t know. I
was encouraged to continue having faith, but there came a point when
faith wasn’t enough anymore.
I
continued searching, but I knew deep down in my heart that my belief in
the Church was over. I began mourning the loss of the woman I was
before and the faith I once had. I knew it would never be the same.
During this time I cried often and felt at a loss. I was in the middle of two worlds, between believing and not, and this was mentally and emotionally draining. I began to
question things I once believed solidly; the Sabbath Day, the Word of
Wisdom, and the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon. I began to wonder
if a life after death was even real and would I be with my husband and
children in the eternities? I mourned those beliefs and wept over my
loss of purpose. What was the point, then? If not this then what?
I
let myself feel the feelings; sadness, disappointment, fear, anger and
emptiness. Brett was a great support to me during this time, as I shared
every thought that passed through my head on the subject. I would
frequently think that I was past the grieving, but then a new
realization would come up and I would mourn again. As time passed, I
experienced this less and less. I began to settle in to my new paradigm
and felt very much as peace. I thought that I could possibly even live
in that place of non-belief while still attending church and fulfilling
my callings. I love my ward and the people in it. I love the community
that comes from being a part of a church and we wanted that for our
children. But with each week that went by, I knew that wouldn’t be
sustainable.
As
my church participation was dangling by a thread, the final straw came as I
learn about the Book of Abraham and the papyrus. I knew very little
about the origins of this book of scripture, but finding out that the
original papyrus had been found and that it was proven to have nothing
to do with the teaching found in the Pearl of Great Price (not even the
word Abraham), the scales were officially tipped. I no longer
believed and was ready to leave. Not only for me, but so that my
children didn’t grow up in a church that claims to have the truth. I
didn’t want to put them through what I went through when my testimony unraveled.
I didn’t want them to experience the pain and the loss. To me, it
wasn’t worth staying.
I’ve
found that a common belief in the LDS church is that there is no
comparable joy outside of the Church as there is in it. I feared this to
be true, but it was worth the risk. We told our families about our exit
and spoke to our Bishop (who was extremely loving and helpful). I am so grateful for our family who has been understanding, supportive and loving during this process. Brett, the kids and I
turned Sunday into Family Fun Day and the kids love it! I can honestly
say that I have never been happier. My heart is at peace and my mind is
settled. I am so grateful to be going through this with my best friend,
Brett. I didn’t mention him much in this, because I feel like his story
is his own. But I wanted to document this for my children and for
myself. I want to remember and I want somewhere where my children can
come to know that I didn’t leave because I wanted to “sin” or because I
was offended. I wanted them to know I left for me and I left for them. I
want them to know that even if this life is all we get, it was
everything I wanted and I don’t regret a thing. I love you Brett, Gwen,
Cami, Walter and Lori. You are my everything.
For more information I recommend viewing THIS video. This information will help you understand a little bit better why your friends or family may have left the church. This is not anti-mormon material. It was put together by a LDS member.
For a comprehensive understanding of the issues that many members have with this church, download a free copy of THIS letter. (Neither of these sources were instrumental in my decision to leave the church. I found these sources after I made that choice. But the issues they discuss were part of my reasons. This is not anti-mormon information. It is Mormon history).
For more information I recommend viewing THIS video. This information will help you understand a little bit better why your friends or family may have left the church. This is not anti-mormon material. It was put together by a LDS member.
For a comprehensive understanding of the issues that many members have with this church, download a free copy of THIS letter. (Neither of these sources were instrumental in my decision to leave the church. I found these sources after I made that choice. But the issues they discuss were part of my reasons. This is not anti-mormon information. It is Mormon history).
8 comments:
This was beautifully written and well explained. I think you are incredibly brave and I am so glad you have the love and support you need to live life the way you choose to.
I’m so glad you were able to write this all out, I love you so much and admire your strength.
I know this post was for your family, but I am so happy that you allowed us to read it too. It was so beautifully, and clearly written. I admire you and your convictions. You're so amazing!!! I love you! <3 <3 <3
Wow Kellie. This took so much courage. I am glad that you took the time to explain your journey. Glad too that you are in a happy contented place. Owning this moment was good for you and your littles, but also considerate to many others who love and care about you guys. Thank you for sharing you joy
Kellie, you are beautiful and wonderful. I love your courageous heart and sincerity. Your words have touched my heart very deeply. You are doing something I imagine is very difficult but very important to you and Brett. I'm just going to miss all the redheads at church LOL! know I think the world of you. We are all children of God and we each must find our path to continue to grow closer to Him. I have family members who also left the church but what truly matters to me/us is the love we feel for each other. A true love of Christ that brings us together as a family. You have started your new path and I for one know you will grow and will continue to be exceptional as a mom, a wife and a daughter of God. Love you Kellie Larsen, you are pretty darn terrific!!!!
Sorry --- The above comment is from me Marie Schroeder!!!
Well to start off I just want to say, if this was really for you kids to read in the future, why didn't you write it in a personal journal instead of posting it on the internet for everyone to see? Maybe you need someone else's affirmation to feel like your making the right decision? Well let me tell you what everyone is really thinking, because we know a lot of the same people, and this isn't just one persons opinion. Rest at ease, I don't follow you on Facebook or Instagram or anywhere else, but others with this same opinion do, for some unknown reason... I was shown this link, and I can't stay quiet. Those links that you posted are not church friendly opinions and sources. You have been lied to and have put your trust in the wrong hands. Your journal entry is all over the place. In the beginning your praising the church and basically baring your testimony and then later you are stating that you have been lied to your whole life. Well you can't have it both ways. Obviously you've made your discussion and this will probably fall on deaf ears. As I heard about your post about what the prophet talked about last weekend, I think you just need to shut the hell up. Nobody wants to hear your opinion on church matters anymore. If your going to leave the church, then LEAVE IT. Completely! It just goes to show that those who leave the church can't leave it alone. And when you say ignorant comments about stuff you don't believe in anymore, it just hurts those people you know who are still members(friends and family). You and Brett are two of the laziest people I have ever met, and nobody is really surprised you left the church. You've played right into the stereotypical roll you say your not. You say you left because you didn't want to live a certain way, well that's false because you instantly went and changed your look to be more worldly(which by the way everyone thinks you looked better before. Especially your nose ring). It's sad to see people leave the church the way you did, but to be honest, you weren't contributing much to it as it was. I give your marriage 3 years at best. I feel especially sorry for your kids. I hope you will someday realize how you've been fooled by the world and dumb ass people doing podcasts.
God Bless you, you'll need it with no focus in your life.
I am the one that wrote the previous post and I have to sincerely apologize from the bottom of my heart. You did not deserve those hurtful words, and I feel so awful that I posted them here and that you had to hear them. You have a right to do as you wish I don't have the right to judge you like that. I wish I could erase them from your memory and mine... I am so so so sorry. I am dealing with my own demons, and trying to work through them and they have been strong these last few days and came through in those despicable words. Please I beg your forgiveness, and truly wish you and your family a happy life no matter what path you choose.
God bless
Post a Comment